Tuesday 4 October 2011

Bin Raking Rules #1: Summer of Dub

I have recently decided to set myself a wee challenge recently to try not to spend more then £4 on any record I buy for a whole year. I have to put my hands up here and say I only lasted about three weeks until yesterday I bought a copy of a rare boogie record I've had my eye on for a year.
That said though, every other record I've bought in the last two months has been less than £4 with most coming in at a quid or less. (So maybe I get away with the mean being <£4? Mmm...ok, no.)

I'm going to try to rip them all and get them up here as evidence that you don't need to spend loads of money to get old classics and that mp3's aren't any cheaper, though I do concede after moving my entire collection from Glasgow to London that they are easier to move about.

So first up is a sub £1 'take a chance' punt that I picked up a few weeks ago. Record hunting in second hand/charity shops can be a risky business as quite a few don't have listening stations so you often learn to buy by looking at a combination of label, producer, year and title to figure out whether or not something is worth a punt or not. It might be only a quid but there's nothing worse than gambling and going home to find the record you've taken a chance on is total guff.

I'm getting quite good at this after spending some time with the more encyclopaedically knowledgable David Barbarossa and together we've put together a few rules of thumb which I'll post up as and when I remember them.
(One that springs to mind is that any British record made between 1991-1993 that has the word 'hypno' in it is probably worth giving a shot.)

Today's rule is that the word 'dub' combined with a U.K. label circa early 90s is a good sign.

Click the picture for a link to a download.

Label picture

I can't give you any history on this track, band or label other than Breakthrough only appear to have released four records between 1992-1993. If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear from you.

This record also has a pretty good acid track on the A side which I'd've posted up too, only my record players are in storage at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment